One of the good and bad things about being LDS in Utah is having so many temples around that we can visit. It's good because many people around the world travel long distances to go to the nearest temple. Here in Utah, we're so blessed to have so many that are so close to us. At some parts of the state we can see multiple temples at once; that's pretty cool. It's bad because we don't take advantage of these temples nearly as much as we should.
The first temple I ever went into was the Boston, Massachusetts temple on my 12th birthday. Receiving that first recommend was so significant to me, because it meant that I was able to enter such a sacred place. Many people work so hard to get that chance, and I knew I had something special.
Most of my life I have lived in Layton. The nearest temples from there are Bountiful and Ogden, which are both about 20 minutes away. Now Jordon and I live farther North, and we are literally 10 minutes away from the Ogden Temple. However, it has been under construction for a while now, so we'd try to make it up to Brigham City when we could. Now the Ogden Temple is finally finished and we no longer have any excuses to not go.
Every time we go, it's like, "Man, why don't we come here more often??" The Spirit in the temples is so powerful. It is so easy to clear your mind and think things through when you are in these peaceful buildings. So why can it be so challenging to just go?
When we were visiting a family in Peru, the father told us that we are so blessed to have so many temples around us. For them to be able to go to their nearest temple, they have to take work off, pack up the family, and take a 24 hour bus ride just to get there. It is at least a 3 day trip for them, only to spend a few hours in the temple. Jordon said to him, "No, you are the one who is blessed, because you actually make the effort to go."
It is so true that the more we have, the more we take for granted. We have nice homes, quiet neighborhoods, good schools, large support systems, and a whole lot of churches and temples. We have so many opportunities to grow and become better people, yet it is so easy to drift into the current and just let whatever happen, happen.
We are a BUSY people. Fall semester just started and Jordon and I are busier than ever. He works full-time (and overtime when he can), and takes as many classes as he can fit into his evenings. I am working 2 jobs (by choice), and squeezing full-time school + an internship in all the cracks. We are a couple headless chickens right now, and it is stressful.
This last weekend, we met up with my family to walk through the Ogden Temple open house, and I just kept thinking to myself, "We need to come here more often." I know that if we can find the time to go inside the temple, then we will be blessed with more time to do the other important things in our lives. If we give time to the Lord, he will bless us with more. I am not exactly sure how that works; I just know that it does.
So, my suggestion to anyone and everyone is to make time for what's most important. And for those that aren't temple recommend holders, the temple open houses are great opportunities to see a beautifully crafted building; there are so many awesome details in each room. Also, these opportunities don't present themselves too often. For those that are recommend holders, you know what you should be doing. DO IT.








No comments:
Post a Comment