Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Why I Study Marriage and Family, You Ask?

I haven't blogged in quite a while now, and I've definitely missed writing just for the fun of it. Fortunately, I had to write a personal timeline paper for my Senior Seminar, which gave me the chance to really think about how I ended up where I am today. I thought I would post it on my blog because I often get asked WHY I chose to go into Family Studies, and why I think that marriage education is so important. Enjoy =)


There are two traits I carry that that have led me to where I am today: I love to write, and I am fascinated by people. With the help of some positive, and not so positive influences in my life, I was able to use these two traits to find myself.
I always knew I was interested in people and relationships, but I didn’t acknowledge my love for writing until I was in high school. English was always my favorite subject in school; it just made sense to me. At Layton High, Miss Merrell is probably one of the most beloved English teachers, and I am happy to credit her for getting me on a path that would lead me to my passion.

 
                I was a sophomore in high school when I received a letter from the editors of Layton High’s newspaper, The Centurion. They told me that I was recommended by Miss Merrell because of my writing skills. I decided I would take on the challenge because I was always eager to be involved in extracurricular activities.
                The next year, I joined the Centurion staff as a reporter; I loved the freedom and the writing, but I hated reporting. I could make any interview into an interesting story with few errors in a short amount of time, but I was terrible at the interviewing process. Taking that into consideration, and my dislike for the editors, I decided that I would quit after the first semester. When word got out that I wanted to leave, my advisor offered me the opportunity to be Editor-in-Chief the next year, and I couldn’t pass that up.
                During my senior year, I loved being in charge and having my own column. I was also taking a Creative Writing class with Miss Merrell, and I knew that I had finally found what I loved to do. With my small journalism background and my interest in writing, I decided that I would go to college to study journalism and eventually be an editor over a fashion magazine.
                Once it came time to actually join a college, I had no idea what I was doing. I was taken care of fairly well while I was growing up. My dad pretty much handled everything for me. I had a part-time job working in retail, but no money to pay for school. With my scholarships and my care-free attitude, I decided to follow my best friend down to St. George to attend Dixie State College (now University). While signing up for the orientation, we were prompted to pick a major. I knew she chose Communications, and I wanted to be with her, so I chose it, too. However, little did I know that I actually signed up for Family and Interpersonal Communications, which put me on a path that was slightly different from journalism.

 
                Right as the semester was starting, I dropped my math class at the last minute and signed up for Small Group and Interpersonal Communications. It was this class that made me realize that I wanted to focus on relationships, specifically. At the time, I was in a fairly hostile relationship, myself. My boyfriend was back home, yet still controlled my every move from 300 miles away. I became fascinated by how people communicated in relationships, and what made them work – even when they were so hard.
                When I moved back home after my first semester, the boy who I told everyone that I was going to marry dumped me. I was completely devastated. I fell into a minor depression and slacked off in school and at work. I felt totally alone.  I soon realized that the people who I had pushed away while I was in that relationship, my family members, were the only ones who were really there for me during my hardship. I was immediately intrigued by the importance of family and close relationships.
                One of my biggest motivators to push through those struggles was my cousin, Jake. Jake listened to me and let me vent. He was always there for me and helped me to see that I deserved to have much more than what I ever had while I was with my boyfriend. I racked up the courage to go back to school full-time and to continue studying families.

 
Fall semester of 2010 is when I met the most important person in my story, Jordon. I was preparing to travel with an agency to China to teach English to young kids, when Jordon completely swept me off my feet. I decided to stay home and save my money, instead. We got married the next summer.

 
                Being married has been the most rewarding, yet challenging stage of my life. One of my most influential church leaders, Brooke, gave Jordon and I a book called The 5 Love Languages as a wedding present. After reading that book, I knew more than ever that I wanted to help people to have healthy and happy marriages.

 
                With all the media classes I was taking, I knew something wasn’t right. I hated taking them. I didn’t care when radio or TV started, or how public relations saves companies. None of that mattered to me. I remember sitting in these classes thinking, “What on Earth am I going to do with all of this?” Marriage as an Interpersonal Process is part of the Family and Interpersonal Communications major, luckily. I took that class, along with multiple media classes during the Spring Semester of 2013. Dr. Dan Hubler taught this course, and he helped me to see what I really wanted to do with my life.
                I looked forward to Wednesday nights because I got to finally learn about the one thing that mattered so much to me – marriage. After a few weeks of Dr. Hubler’s class, I came to realize that I was in the wrong major. I found that I wanted to be a Certified Family Life Educator so that I could teach marriage education. With help from Dr. Hubler, I was able to change my major to Family Studies, and use my communication classes for a Communications minor.
                Now that I am a senior and studying people in depth, I have learned so much more about myself and how I came to be the way that I am. I have learned that the relationship I was in when I first started college was completely tearing me down, without me even realizing it at the time. I was totally cut off from my family and closest friends, and I was going downhill fast. However, I never would have been able to appreciate the amazing husband I have now, had I not experienced such a hostile relationship. Overcoming that experience turned me into a much stronger person. I am more strong-willed and stubborn now than I ever was before. I am now able to recognize the signs of an abusive relationship (emotional, verbal, or physical) and stay away from people who show those signs. When I know what I want, I go and get it, and I don’t let other people stand in my way anymore. 

 
                At times when I struggled, I didn’t feel like I had anywhere to turn. I was alone, but the worst part was that I didn’t even know it. I know that many other women (and men) feel this way, and I want to help them to recognize it. I want to help people fix their problems, before they even become problems. I want couples to have the knowledge that I wish I would have had when I was first considering marriage at such a young age. 
             I am amazed that finding my true passion all started with an English teacher recommending me to a journalism class. Looking back, it all makes so much sense to me now. I have always been interested in people and their motives. I truly believe that I have been through so many different types of relationships so that I might be able to better understand what other people are going through, as I try to help them improve their own relationships.
                I appreciate everyone who has crossed my path and impacted my life, in one way or another. I appreciate my family for putting up with me as I analyze them and try to tell them what they need to do to be better in their relationships. Their questions motivate me to learn more so that I can know how to help others while in the field. I especially appreciate my dear husband for letting me use him as a lab rat. The patience he has for me is incredible. Oftentimes he can tell when I don’t like the way he does or says something. I light up when he says, “What is the right way for me to say/do that? What do your text books say?” I know that I can make a difference in others’ lives, and I can’t wait to turn my passion into a living!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment