Saturday, September 20, 2014

~ How Finding Myself Found Me My Husband ~

Exactly 4 years ago from today is the day that Jordon and I met each other for the first time. I am amazed at how things just kind of fell into place for me around that time.
I had gotten out of a pretty bad relationship 9 months prior, and all summer I dreaded dating. I didn't dread it because of the people I was with, I dreaded it because I wasn't ready to move on. Something just wasn't right.  
Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of really fun experiences during those 9 months. However, because I had been so cut off in my previous relationship from everyone and everything, I didn't know who I was.  I didn't even realize it until I was completely alone. I became determined to discover myself. I began the process of learning who Cailie was. It was time for me to do what was going to make me happy. Therefore, whenever the door opened for me to go out and meet new people, I went through it. I did so many fun things with some really good friends. I had a blast during the summer of 2010. I was finally ME, and it felt so good.


I spent a lot of time with friends, but the main reason why I went out on dates is because I knew that it was what I was supposed to be doing. Nobody told me that I had to; I just knew that I needed to. Also, because I was usually in serious relationships, dating helped me to see all the other options that I had to choose from. I began to learn which traits that I did and didn't like. I began to realize that there are PLENTY of fish in the sea! I didn't have to settle for the first one that came swimming along. I found out that there were so many other paths that I could take. I loved knowing that I had options, and that I could be happy.
During this time I had a lot of friends serving LDS missions. I loved writing them. I learned a lot about them, different cultures, the church, and even myself. Every week I looked forward to getting letters. I became jealous that they were out on their own adventures, and I was still in Utah.
I decided that there was more to life than just waiting around for something to happen to me, and I started to think of adventures I could go on by myself. After looking at many options [LDS mission, moving out, joining the Peace Corps], I decided that going to China [through ILP] to teach the children English was the adventure that I had been searching for. I looked into it for a long time, and knew that it was the next step in discovering myself.  
August quickly approached me, and I started to sign up for Fall Semester classes at Weber State. I decided to take a Chinese language class so that I could learn at least a little bit of the language. I didn't want to go knowing absolutely nothing! However, because the Chinese class was going to take me away from work too much, the Saturday before the semester started, I felt that I should drop that class and take something else. I signed up for a Monday night nutrition class extremely last minute, and decided that I would just deal with going to China not knowing any Chinese.
Like any girl would [right?], I sat at the front of each of my classes so that I could see all the cute boys that would walk in. I wanted to see who I should start sitting by! Of course, I did the same in my nutrition class, and I had it narrowed down to two. Each week I would sit closer to one of them, hoping that we would eventually get the chance to talk [never happened].
The weekend before my first interview with ILP, I had received a letter from my ex. I had gotten a previous letter from him; this one, however, was different. After reading the letter I suddenly felt....nothing. I was actually so uninterested that I decided there was no need for me to write back. I was totally and completely DONE. I had officially moved on, and there was no turning back. I made the decision that weekend that I would stop writing letters to a few of those missionaries [at least for a while]. I felt it was best for me [and them] to give it a break. Something inside of me told me that I needed to just completely let go.
The next Monday, September 20, 2010, the other cute boy [the best looking one] in my nutrition class came up behind me as I walked into the classroom and asked me the one question that would change my life forever: "Do you know when our assignment is due?" It was all uphill from there.
We decided to study together, and exchanged numbers that night. We briefly got to know each other as we walked to our cars after class. I made sure to let him know that I was going to China in a few months. I had my interview the next day and I was determined to go on that adventure. Yet, that night, I still waited by my phone forever for him to text me first. I remember he sent me a picture of his Mustang. I guess he thought that would win me over. I guess he was right ;)
I went down to Provo the next day to interview with ILP. They asked me on a scale of 1 to 10, how badly did I want to go to China. I told them either a 9 or a 10. Seriously, I really thought this was what I was supposed to do to find myself. They told me that they would contact me in a couple of weeks to let me know what their final decision was.
Jordon and I went on our first date the next week, but I will save that story for next Saturday. What I wanted to focus on right now was how perfectly things fell into place for me the very moment I had finally decided to really focus on myself. I relied way too much on others to make me happy. When I realized that I wasn't truly happy, I  knew I needed to reevaluate my priorities. I can't believe how quickly I was blessed with Jordon. It was like God was saying, "Geez, took you long enough. NOW let me introduce you to this guy!" If I had met him any earlier it wouldn't be right because I wouldn't have been ready. God waited for just the right time to bring him into my life.
I'll talk a little more about this next week when I blog about our first date, but as soon as I met Jordon I knew he was going to be different. I knew my life was going to be different! I was completely twitter pated from Day 1, and that still hasn't changed. I'm so in love with him and I know - without a doubt - that our paths were supposed to cross right when they did. I know that all the trials I went through were shaping and molding me so that I would be ready for this handsome man.
~ This is the very first picture we ever took together ~

After dating Jor for a few weeks, I got accepted to teach in China. I sat down for a long time with my parents as we went over the pros and cons. Financially, I had just enough to pay for it. In other words, I would come home with $0. Then, of course, there was Jordon. I wasn't ready to leave this one. I wanted to see where things would go with him first. I decided that I would put it off until the next semester. If things didn't work out between Jordon and I, then I could still continue my plans later, and I would have more money to do so. Needless to say, I never went on my China adventure. And I don't regret my decision ;)

Stay tuned for more of our story next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment