Monday, July 7, 2014

Freedom, Gratitude, & Humility

This 4th of July weekend has actually been extremely deep and emotional for me, mostly because I have put a lot of thought into all the blessings that I have in my life. I have everything, and I take it all for granted so much.

On Sunday, we taught our cute little {rambunctious} primary class about gratitude. We got talking about ALL the wonderful things that we have in our lives, and it really got me thinking about how ungrateful I am. When Jor and I got home, I just completely broke down. I realized that I don't deserve ANYTHING that I have. I don't know why we have the great life that we do. I told him that we don't deserve this home or the lifestyle that we live. We don't ever go out of our way to show gratitude for what we have. We definitely appreciate it all, but what have we done to pay it forward, and show our appreciation to our loved ones and to God - the one who has given us all of these beautiful things? We made a decision that day that we were going to strive to be better at SHOWING our appreciation.

We live in such a wonderful country, and although there are always problems with the politics, drugs, crime, lying, etc., there is always good. We have so many freedoms that we don't even think about! I am so glad that I can leave my house being pretty sure that I will come back to a safely locked and untouched home. I can feel safe going to the grocery store by myself. I know that we can go to church every Sunday and worship how we want, and not have to worry about being beaten or killed, or even just made fun of! I can put my opinion up online for everyone to see, and feel pretty confident that it will be respected. As a woman, I know that I can succeed in whatever it is that I set my mind to. I can live how I want, and I am so -GRATEFUL- for that freedom.


It is so easy to forget about all these great things, and to just focus on everything that it NOT going right. But what about all the things that ARE going right?? I asked our primary class to think about how long it would take to list all of the things that they are grateful for while saying their prayers. One of the kids said it would take all night. I truly hope that if each of us were to ever try it, that it would take AT LEAST all night. Because we have THAT MUCH to be grateful for. Life is so great here in America, and we are doing ourselves {and others} a major disservice by letting society make us feel that we don't have enough to satisfy our needs.

I have been to 6 different countries and across the entire United States {coast to coast}. And although the world is definitely full of beautiful places, this unique state of Utah certainly doesn't disappoint. Nature is a fantastic thing, and we are so blessed to be able to enjoy it.




...with that in mind, here's a glimpse of my weekend...
First, I got a flat tire on my way to work Thursday morning. Boooooo. I was dumb and kept driving because I didn't know what was wrong. I pulled over at the closest exit and saw this. Thank goodness my rim survived! I am so lucky to have such a caring husband who left work to come save me. Even though I am perfectly capable of taking care of a flat on my own, he came right over without any hesitation. He put the spare on and switched me cars for the day. I am so blessed to have Jordon to take care of me and do all of the dirty work.
The rest of the weekend wasn't quite as dreadful. Here are some pictures from the fireworks in Bountiful on Thursday night. Our family goes every year and we are always impressed with the show they put on. Also, watching fireworks with a toddler is so entertaining. They find joy in the most simple things.





Jordon's poor eyes are so sensitive to camera flashes, so this is him attempting to smile for me.

Let me just say, having a 3-day weekend is one of the best things ever. It's also really dangerous because it's sooo easy to be a lazy bum. Which I kind of was! But it was a much needed break {for sure}. Here are a couple pictures from Cherry Days in North Ogden with Jordon's family.


Jordon and I went to the Bee's game Friday night, and it was HOT. And yes, I complained way more than I should have. When I am hot and claustrophobic {it was packed}, I get crabby. And then some punk teenager thought it would be HILARIOUS to put his arm around me and attempt to take a selfie with me. He's so lucky I was too shocked to react quick enough. One more second and I would have decked him in the last place he would want to be decked. Once the sun went down on the other side of the bleachers, I was finally able to cool off and enjoy the game with my man. After the game, we got to sit on the field and watch the fireworks, which were also done really well.

What's more American than Baseball??

Once again, Jordon's poor eyes. He had to throw his Oakley's on during the fireworks because they were so bright.






I hope everyone had an excellent Independence Day! And I truly hope that we can all recognize all the great opportunities that God and this country have blessed us with!



No comments:

Post a Comment